For many years I was asked for a detailed list of what people need to do before they move from their home. As a realtor, I asked some of my past clients to put together a list of things to do before you move from your home in The Glen. Since I was brainstorming, not every idea may be suited for everybody. But in asking past clients, most of these notions will prepare you for a move down the block or across the country.
Let me know if this list is helpful for you. Please feel free to comment with new items to add to my list so I can pass them to anyone who is planning a move.
Send Change of Address to:
- The Glen Post Office: Give forwarding address
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards
- Friends and Relatives
- If you live in one of the nine neighborhoods in The Glen and you are on The Glen email system, let everyone know you are leaving
- Here are the nine sub-divisions, Cambridge, Chapel Crossing, Glen Shore Condos, Landings at The Glen, Patriot Commons, Regency at The Glen, Southgate, Tower Crossing & Westgate at The Glen (learn more about the
(Learn more about the neighborhoods and homes in The Glen by clicking on them in the right sidebar.)
Remember to Notify:
- Bank: Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city outside The Glen
- Insurance: Notify new location for coverage. Life, health, fire, auto
- Automobile Registrations: Transfer of car title registration is necessary, also driver’s license, city windshield sticker, motor club membership
- Utility Companies: Gas, electric, Village of Glenview for water and garbage, telephone, perhaps fuel. Get refund of any deposits made, Make arrangements in new town for immediate services.
- School records: Ask for copies of children’s records
- Route person: Laundry, paper, milk and change over in new area
- Medical: Dental, prescription histories; ask doctor and dentist for referrals; transfer need prescriptions, eye glasses, X-rays
- Church, Club, and Civic Organizations: Transfer membership; get letters of introduction
- Pets: Ask for regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
- Empty freezer, plan use of foods
- Defrost freezer-refrigerator. Use charcoal to dispel odors
- Have appliances serviced for new Glen owner
- Clean carpets, rugs and clothing before moving
- With your moving counselor, check: insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival date, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment
- Plan for special care needs of infants
Day You Move from Your Home in The Glen:
- Carry currency, jewelry, document yourself or use registered mail
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions when they are unhappy
- Carry traveler’s checks for quick available funds
- Let close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including overnight stops; use them as a message headquarters
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty
- Leave old keys of your Glen home which will be needed by new owners with me your realtor
Phone Numbers for Utility Companies
- Village of Glenview – 847-724-1700
- ComEd – 800-334-7661
- Nicor – 888-642-6748
- Groot – 800-244-1977
- Comcast – 866-594-1234
- AT&T U-verse – 800-222-0300
- DirectTV – 877-916-5137
The above items are only suggestions and today many of the items are done automatically in our daily life. Where ever you go I wish you good luck.
For more information on neighborhoods and Blogs, please visit The Glen page.
Please call me at 847-921-1666 to discuss your needs or email me at BarryNewman@atproperties.com